30 hours childcare, 30 hours free childcare, how to apply, information for parents

30-hours 'free' childcare: a guide for parents

There is a lot of confusion around the roll-out of the 30-hours 'free' childcare offer so read on to get some answers.

Am I eligible for the 30-hours childcare offer?

You will be eligible for the 30-hours offer if:

  • You earn more than the equivalent of 16 hours at the national living wage or minimum wage per week: for example, £120 per week if you are 25 or older. There is no requirement to work a certain amount of hours per week – it is all about how much you earn.


  • You earn less than £100,000 per year.

If you are self-employed or on a zero-hours contract: You are still eligible as long as you expect to meet the earning criteria on average over the three months after you have applied for the 30-hours.

If you are an apprentices: You are eligible as long as they earn the equivalent to 16 hours at the apprentice minimum wage.

If you are starting up your own business: You will not be expected to meet the minimum earning criteria in your first year of trading. 

If you are not working but you expect to take up paid work within 14 days: You can still apply for 30 hours, as long as you expect to meet the income criteria over the coming three months.

If you are a single parent: If you meet the above criteria, you will be eligible for the 30 hours.

If you live with a partner: You must both must meet the above criteria. This still applies if one of you is not the child’s parent – for example, if you have remarried or have started living with a new partner.

If you are separated/divorced from your child’s parent: The eligibility rules will only apply to the parent the child normally lives with (and their new partner if they are part of the same household).


You will NOT have to meet the minimum earnings criteria if:

  • You and your partner are employed but one or both of you temporarily on parental, maternity or paternity, adoption leave, or on statutory sick pay
  • You are employed but your partner either has substantial caring responsibilities, or is disabled or incapacitated, or vice versa. This is dependent on you or your partner being entitled to specific benefits.

My child is going to turn three next year. How soon can I access the 30 hours?

Your child will be eligible for the 30 hours offer from the term after they turn three, or the term after you receive your eligibility code – whichever is later.

For example, if your child turns three on 25 March, and you apply for the 30-hours on 27 March, your child will be eligible for a place from the start of the spring term in April. However, if your child turns three on 25 March but you don’t apply for the 30 hours until 5 April, your child won’t be eligible for a place until the autumn term in September.

How do I apply for the 30 hours offer?

You will be able to apply for both the 30-hour offer and tax-free childcare using a single application available online via the Childcare Service.

To complete the application, you will need your address, national insurance number and to show whether you will meet the income requirements over the next three months and whether you receive any benefits.

If you live with a partner, you will need to provide the same information for them as well. 

If you are eligible, you will be given an 11-digit code that you will need to take to your childcare provider along with your national insurance number and your child’s birth certificate.

Your childcare provider will then use the government’s eligibility checking system to check the code is valid. If it is, they will be able to book your child’s place – but bear in mind that providers don’t have to take part in the 30-hour offer, so be sure to speak to your childcare provider about what they are able to offer for your family.

You will need to reconfirm your eligibility every three months and will receive a reminder text message or email from the government before the deadline. If you give false information about your eligibility, you could be fined up to £3000.

If I’m not eligible for the 30-hour offer, can I still get my 15 hours?

Yes. The 15-hour offer is still universal so if you’re not eligible for a 30-hour place, you will still be eligible for the 15-hour offer.

What happens if I become ineligible for the offer e.g. because I lose my job?

If you no longer meet the eligibility criteria, your child’s 30-hour place will continue to be funded for a ‘grace period’. You should discuss this with your provider if and when you lose eligibility. 

Once the grace period has expired, you will still be eligible for the 15-hour funded childcare offer. 

I want to access the 30-hours but my provider is asking for a deposit. Can they do this?

Yes. Under government rules, providers can charge a refundable deposit for funded places for two-, three- and four-year-olds.  Each local council will have their own arrangements with providers for when deposits are refunded to parents.

Sign up FREE to Family Corner for fun, useful articles on your child's learning and development


  • Early years providers don’t have to offer the 30-hours

Like the 15-hour offer, the 30-hour scheme is optional for providers. This means your childcare provider may decide not to offer funded places. Alternatively, they may limit the number of 30-hours places they offer.

This might be because, for example, the level of funding they receive from the government is not enough to cover the cost of delivering places, or because they do not have enough staff to deliver the extended offer.

  • You don’t have to take up the full 30-hours to receive funding

If you want to take up, for example, 25 hours per week, this will still be funded by the government under the 30-hour offer.

  • You can split the offer between more than one childcare provider

You can split your free entitlement between more than one provider, though no more than two sites in one day. However, it is important to bear in mind the impact of multiple providers on a child’s learning, development and wellbeing.

If you are splitting your offer between providers, you will need to provide your eligibility code and information to each provider.

  • 30-hour funding only covers 38 weeks of the year

The actual government funded entitlement is for 1140 hours per year. This means that if you take up your full 30 hours per week, government funding will only over this for 38 weeks of the year.

However, your provider may choose to deliver a ‘stretched offer’ i.e. fewer hours per week over more weeks of the year: for example, 22 hour per week over 52 weeks or the year, or just under 24 hours per week over 48 weeks of the year. Speak to your provider about how they can offer the hours and what works best for all of you.

  • Providers can charge non-compulsory additional charges

Government funding is meant to cover the delivery of early education and care only. This means that childcare providers are allowed charge for additional goods, services and activities, such as lunch or trips, as long as these charges are voluntary.

For example, your provider might give you the choice of paying for lunch or providing lunch yourself, though it is important to note this is not possible at all childcare settings (for example, some may not have food storage facilities).


Tax-free childcare is a government scheme that allows all eligible parents of children under 12 – or 17, if your child has a disability – to open an online account to pay for childcare. For every £80 you pay in, the government will pay in an extra £20.

You can save up to £10,000 in a tax-free childcare account (£8000 that you’ve paid in, plus £2000 that the government has paid in) or up to £20,000 (£16,000 that you’ve paid in, plus £4000 that the government has paid in) if your child has a disability.

The eligibility criteria for Tax-Free Childcare is broadly the same as for the 30-hour offer. You can only use Tax-Free Childcare to pay registered childcare providers.

It is important to note that, while you can use Tax-Free Childcare alongside the 30-hours offer (or 15 hour offer), you can’t use it at the same time as:

  • Childcare vouchers
  • Universal Credit
  • Tax credits

More information is available at the government’s Childcare Choices website.

Think carefully about your options before deciding  – for example, some parents may benefit more from tax credits than if they switched to tax free childcare – it depends on your individual circumstances as to what will be best for your family.

Where next?

What is a key person and why are they important?


For more articles about family life and your child's development sign up FREE to the Family Corner enewsletter. 

We only send emails once a month and won't pass your details to anyone else. You can unsubscribe at any time.